Dhanurasna Bow Pose
In ancient yoga, as well as in modern science, the spinal cord is the most important and most subtle part of the body. The yoga asanas are designed to cultivate the root of our tree of life, the spinal column. Today we are going to talk about Dhanurasana which also has the development of spine as the main focal. Dhanurasana is made up from 2 words: DHANU which means bow and ASANA which indicates yoga pose. The name of this asana is a contribution towards the final position of the body, which represents a bow. In this pose, the abdomen and thigh represent the wooden part of the bow whereas legs lower parts and arms represent the bowstring. This is one of the most important yogic postures, which is known for many health benefits including belly fat reduction, strengthening the lower back, treating asthma, making your entire spine flexible and supple and so on.
How To Do It?
1. Lie on the ground (on stomach) facing downwards.
2. Relax completely with 2-3 breaths.
3. Inhale slowly and starts bending your legs backwards and catch the ankles with the hands as shown in the above image.
4. You will see that your body is now in the shape of a bow.
5. In this position your whole weight will come on your abdomen. Only your stomach and pelvic area will touch the ground.
6. Hold this position for few 15-20 seconds and continue taking a deep breath. You can increase the time after practicing this.
7. Now after 15-20 seconds exhale slowly and come back to starting position.
8. Repeat this cycle for 4- 5 times daily.
Dhanurasana & Weight Loss
If you are looking for losing weight from your belly and hips then this yoga posture is for you. Dhanurasana, also known as bow pose stretches and tones your core muscles. It also stretches the muscles of your glutes, thighs and hamstrings, helping you give them a defined shape. Continuously doing this asana will help you get rid of belly fat for sure. Other than aiding the weight loss process, some of the other added benefits of including this asana in your routine are highlighted as under:-
Added Benefits of Dhanurasana
1. This asana is effective for curing constipation, improving digestion, and appetite. Further, it also helps in treating obesity, rheumatism and gastrointestinal problems.
2. It improves the functioning of liver, pancreas, small intestine and big intestine.
3. It gives flexibility to back by strengthening back muscles and releasing pain.
4. Strengthens ankles, thighs, groins, chest, and positively targets the functioning of kidney and liver.
5. Cures respiratory disorder like asthama.
Who Should Not Perform This Asana?
1. The person suffering from high blood pressure, back pain, hernia, headache, migraine or abdomen surgery should avoid doing this asana.
2. Ladies should not practice yoga during pregnancy and in periods.
leave a comment
Stay upto date with our latest news and products.
Your email is safe with us, we don't spam